Places of interest
Here you have an overview of most Places of Interests in turkey:
1 ALANYA CASTLE
The mediaeval castle is located 250 meters high on a rocky peninsula jutting into the Mediterranean Sea, which protects it from three sides.
It is surrounded by the wall 6.5 km in length that has 140 towers on it. Most of the castle was built in the 13th century under the Seljuk Sultanate of Rûm following the city’s conquest in 1220 by Alaeddin Keykubad I as part of a building campaign that included the Kızıl Kule. The castle had several gates. The major ones had beautiful painting on them. Nowadays they are destroyed.
There are some ancient buildings inside if the castle -brick cisterns and Byzantine churches. A lot of villas were built inside in the XIX century.
Today the building is an open air museum.
2 Red Tower (KIZIL KULE)
The Kızıl Kule (Red Tower), a main tourist attraction in the Turkish city of Alanya, is situated in the port. The building is considered to be the symbol of the city, and is even used on the city’s flag.
Construction of the building began during the reign of the Anatolian Seljuk Sultan Ala- ddin Kay Qubadh I and was completed in 1226. The sultan brought the accomplished architect Ebu Ali Reha from Aleppo, Syria to Alanya to complete the building. The name derives from the more red color brick he used in its construction. So well-made was it that it remains one of the finest examples of medieval military architecture. Though more preservation has gone into the building, it clearly is the best preserved Seljuk building in the city. The octagonal red brick tower protects the Tersane shipyard. In 1979 the tower was open for visitors.
3 Damlatash Cave (DAMLATAŞ MAĞARASI)
The cave is situated in the center of Alanya. The name DAMLATAŞ can be translated in English as “stone in drops” (DAMLA-stone and TAŞ- drop).
The cave was found in 1948 while building works in the port. Amazing 15 000 year stalactites and stalagmites were inside. From those times the cave was under protection and numerous studies began.
Together with its natural beauty DAMLATAŞ Cave is also known for its great atmosphere that makes people who have sick of asthma better. If you have such an illness you should definitely visit Damlataş Cave when you are in Alanya.
4 DIM CAVE (DİM MAĞARASI)
The cave is a natural formation that offers amazing scenery of stalagmite and stalactite for the visitors.
There is a small salt lake in the middle.
This place was well-known among local hunters as a shelter.
It was introduced to the visitors in 1998 and it is the second biggest cave known to the visitors.
5 The DOCKYARD (TERSANE)
Its construction started in 1227, six years later than the Sultan’s conquest of the city, near Kızılkule and finished in one year. The Side of the dockyard overlooking the sea and having five cells with arches is 56.5 metres long and it is 44 metres in depth. The area selected for the dockyard was planned to have the most sunlight. The statement on the front door of the dockyard has the Sultan Keykubat’s armorial bearings and is decorated with badges.
The dockyard of Alanya was the first one of Selcuks in the Mediterranean, Alaaddin Keykubat, who had the dockyard of Sinop built before, was given the little of “the Sultan of the two seas” with the opening of the dockyard of Alanya. On one side of the dockyard there is a small mosque, and a guard room on the other. There is a well that has dried up in time in one of the cells. You can go to the dockyard by boats or on foot passing the walls near Kızılkule and can enter the dockyard without any payments.
There’s a gun house next to the dockyard. It was built with the aim of defence on a rock ten meters above the sea level. It’s also known that cannons for battleships were made in the three-storey and rectangular building made of stone blocks and constructed in 1277.
There have been some efforts made by the Ministry of culture and the Municipality of Alanya to make the Dockyard and the Gun House naval museums.
It was rebuilt and began to be known as the “middle castle” during the Selcuks’ Era, replacing the little one on the northern Side of the citadel left by the Byzantine Empire. It’s clear from the inscription on its front door that it was built in 1227. It’s thought to have been named after the master builder “Ehmedek” of the Selcuks’ Era.
The middle castle consisting of two parts with three towers is located on a strategically important place and at the same time it can protect the inner one where the Sultan’s palace is. The walls of the towers we can see today were built during the Byzantine Era, carving rocks. The three cisterns in the middle castle are still used today
8 SULEYMANYE MOSQUE (SÜLEYMANİYE CAMİSİ)
It was built just outside İçkale on the top of the castle in 1231 when the city was being reconstructed by Alaaddin Keykubat, the Sultan of Selcuks. However the mosque was not in good condition in the following years and it was rebuilt by Kanuni Sultan Süleyman in the 16th century during the Ottoman Era.. The mosque with a single minaret is known as Alaaddin, Kale or Sülaymaniye. The building is made of rubble stones and it is square in shape.
It has a brick dome based on an octagonal frame. Fifteen little earthenware jars were placed in the part functioning as the hanger of the dome in order to ensure its acoustics. That quality is felt during religious practice, the final public place is found below three brick domes on a four-foot basis. The covers of doors and windows are fine examples of wood carving of the Ottoman.
It’s in the citadel, near The Süleymaniye Mosque. It’s thought to have been built in the 14th or the 15th century during the Karamanoğulları period as a bazaar or an inn. It’s a rectangular building made of stone blocks. It has 26 rooms and a courtyard that is 35 metres long and 13 metres wide. Today this historical building is used as a hotel, a restaurant and a cafe.
The shops of the medieval times, overlooking the courtyard are now redesigned as hotel rooms. There’s a big cistern at the end of the stairs in the garden. The garden overlooks the above walls on one side, and the Taurus Mountains, the Mediterranean and the beach on the other side. Bedesten can be visited with the permission of the person who runs it.
10 THE MINTING HOUSE (DARPHANE)
They are the buildings on Cilvarda Bay that has bluffs, nearly 400 meters long and they are at the end of the peninsula. Although known as “the Minting House” in public, those buildings made of stone blocks have never been used for issuing money.
One of the stone buildings of the 11th century is a little church and the others were possibly used as monasteries. The dome of the little church has remained standing. There’s a cistern on the rocks. Although there’s a passage of steps carved in the rocks from İçkale to Cilvarda Bay, it can’t be used today. As for sea transport it is difficult and dangerous.
It looks magnificent both when looked at from İçkale and while turning the bend of the bay by boat.